Chronology of Resistance in Rembang City, Jawa Tengah: Street and community conflict against military & police in struggle against the construction of a cement factory (Indonesia)

This is a news report from one of our comrades in Rembang City, Jawa Tengah.

People in Rembang City in Jawa Tengah, Indonesia make a protest because the company PT. Semen Indonesia will build a factory in Rembang City. Why the farmers and people protest to that capitalism is because Jaringan Masyarakat peduli Pegunungan Kendeng (JMPPK) and Semarang Caver Association [farming and local community groups in Rembang City] found 109 springs, fountains or wells, as well as 49 caves and 4 underground rivers that make a great amount of pure water there.

And this is different news from Analisa Dampak Lingkungan (AMDAL) which is an organisation, or an ‘Non-Government Organisation’ that is a bullshit organisation that belongs to the government and PT. Semen Indonesia. They say they only found 20 fountains.

If PT. Semen Indonesia still make their factory and cement production in Rembang City, it will destroy nature and the water supply in Rembang City, because that water is directly produced from Watuputih mountain.

That’s why we must boycott PT. Semen Indonesia and AMDAL.

Feed the fire… burn baby burn….!!!!

Chronology of Resistance to the Cement Factory in Rembang City

15th -18th June 2014.

Sunday 15th June 2014

On Sunday people from Tegal Dowo and Timbrangan communities in Gunem sub-district that are involved in the Network of Communities Concerned for
the Kendeng Mountains in Rembang (JMPPK Rembang), received information that there would be an event to place the first stone for a new Semen Indonesia (Indonesia Cement) factory near their villages. From what they heard, this would take place on Monday 16th June. After receiving this news, local people made plans to go to the planned factory site the next day.

Monday 16th June

05.30 : Groups of community members started arriving at the factory site with the idea of staging an action should the laying of the first stone actually take place. As they approached the area, they were blocked by police, who said that they couldn’t go ahead with their action because they had not given the police prior notice of their plans. Despite this problem the local people nevertheless carried out their plan, and kept trying to witness the stone-laying event. The police said that information that the event would take place was not true, only that some people would pray together for the construction of the factory to be successful and for it to go smoothly.

06.00 : As the demonstrators wanted to move towards the factory site, army officers could be seen approaching. Seeing this, the ‘community documentation team’ started recording what was going on.

07.30 : One more military truck was added to block and disperse the action. The people responded by holding their ground on the road near the factory site.

08.30 : Other community members started to arrive and joined those who were already there. The police and army barked their orders once again, instructing people to go back to their homes because their action was not
in line with valid procedures.

08.45 : The army and police forcibly dispersed the action. During this incident four members of the community documentation team that were recording the dispersal were arrested by police, who gave the reason that they did not have press cards. They were even accused of being false journalists. They were held in a police car that was parked a short way from the scene. While this was going on one of the community documentation team managed to escape and went on to give information about what had happened to other participants.

09.00 : During the dispersal two women were knocked unconscious because of being dragged and thrown about by police. The army also kept up the intimidation, saying “people can be punished by law because the action they are taking is not according to procedure”.

09.30-10.30 : There was no longer anyone present who could document what happened as the police tried to disperse the action.

11.00 : Several members of a “new” documentation team started to enter the area, and the atmosphere remained tense. Police and military continued to
search anyone they thought might be part of a community documentation team.

14.00 : The police released the community documentation team they had arrested that morning.

14.30 : The atmosphere on the ground was still one of tension and panic. The other women looked after the two demonstrators who had still not regained consciousness.

15.00 : Having received news that their fellows had clashed with the army and police, other villagers from Tegal Dowo and Timbrangan villages started arriving to join the action and show their solidarity. However this action was once again blocked by the police and military, who held their position, preventing the newcomers from approaching and joining the others.

18.00 : Villagers from Tegal Dowo and Timbrangan had a plan to send support consisting of food and lighting to those still taking action. However as they tried to bring this to the action site, the army and police forbade them from bringing it in. The team sending the supplies then went back to the village and left them in the Timbrangan village head’s house.

18.30 : Another team from JMPPK Rembang went back to the area and tried to negotiate with the police and military so that the supplies could be allowed inside. However the police and military responded with the sentence “we’re still waiting for orders from above”. As this happened the women involved in the action chanted and prayed together. The negotiations were tricky, but eventually supplies were allowed to enter and then the action participants were able to set up an awning.

20.30 : Support and solidarity from the people of Rembang started to arrive. This included medical aid.

Afterwards, the community were able to hold the area, constructing a tent so they could rest. Army and Police continued to watch over them until the next day.

Tuesday, 17th June.

07.00-12.00 : The community were holding their ground at the action location, and sticking to their demands that the plans to construct a cement factory are cancelled and the heavy machinery at the factory site is taken away. On this second day of action, police and military continued their guard around the action site.

12.00-18.00 : This action has attracted extra sympathy and support from several groups and organisations from outside Rembang. Representatives or individuals from several areas such as Pati, Blora, Semarang and Yogykarta have been spotted around the action.

20.00-23.00 : The community is still holding on at the action location despite the rainy conditions. Activities such as prayers and reciting the Koran continued.

23.00-24.00 : As they are trying to sleep, several residents are disturbed by screams coming from several police officers that are still keeping guard around the action. They are screaming “there is no cement factory here”.

Wednesday 18th June.

07.00-12.00 : The community are still at the action site and are still demanding that plans for the cement factory are cancelled and the heavy machinery in the factory site is taken away. On this third action day, the army and police are still guarding close to the action site.

12.00-14.00 : The rain falls once again, but the community are still managing to hang on.

18.00-20.00 : The community read the Koran and pray together at the action.

20.00-22.00 : The head of Gunem subdistrict visits the action. His/her arrival heralds a acrimonious debate with the action participants.

23.00-24.00 : The community maintain their presence at the action site.

Twitter: #saverembang #stopsemenindonesia

Solidarity actions have taken place, or are planned in Semarang, Blora,
Palembang, Yogyakarta, Makasar and Bandung City.

Please share to all

Long Life Anarchy

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Wednesday, June 25th, 2014 at 2:06 pm and is filed under Eco Struggle.