Posts Tagged ‘Elbit’
Wednesday, September 24th, 2014
During the course of the week of action against the NATO summit a diverse range of actions were taken by many different groups and individuals. Here is a summary of what happened:
Friday 29th August
– Stop NATO camp set up at Tredelgar park in Newport
– BAE systems attacked with fire in Filton and vehicles torched at army cadet base in Bristol as acts of resistance against NATO
Saturday 30th August
– Mass march and radical bloc against NATO in Newport
– Effigy of Obama burned in Cardiff
Sunday 31st August – Action against securitisation and repression at the ‘fence’ in Cardiff
Monday 1st September – Sabcats anti-austerity action at Newport jobcentre and army recruitment centre.
Tuesday 2nd September
– No borders noise demo at UK Borders Agency in Cardiff
– Activist locks himself inside Cardiff Keep in Cardiff Castle where the NATO dinner is due to be held
Wednesday 3rd September – Activists hand in a demand for the arrest of NATO leaders to police in Newport, based on evidence leaked by Chelsea Manning of war crimes.
Thursday 4th September
– No to NATO March on Celtic Manor from centre of Newport and mass demo against the NATO dinner at Cardiff Castle
– Activists chalk out the connections between NATO and arms companies in Newport
Friday 5th September
– Activists again try to present evidence of war crimes at Newport police station
– Occupation of Barclays Bank in Newport calling for Barclays to ditch their shares in Israeli arms company, Elbit. Four activists glue themselves inside the bank
Saturday 6th September – Solidarity demonstrations outside Newport Magistrates Court in support of Barclays occupiers.
The struggle continues
Last week we saw a diverse struggle against NATO in Cymru. Marches against NATO in the streets of Newport and Cardiff; actions against the forces driving war in the banks and the securitised zones; workshops and discussions at the camp about connected issues from Gaza to police repression at the camp; people spreading the word in a hundred different ways, from conversations with locals, to the camp, to the web. But the struggles against capitalism and militarism are not a one-day, or even a one-week, event. The actions taken this week by Stop NATO Cymru, the Anarchist Action Network and other organisations are a small part of building up a movement capable of bringing about radical change.
So, when we look back, does it make sense to ask whether we “succeeded” in the week of action? We think it does. If one more mind went beyond the distortions of the mainstream media because of what we did, then yes we ‘succeeded’. If one more pair of feet was spurred onto the streets by what we did, then we succeeded. And if one more pair of hands joined with ours, yes, we succeeded. In the coming struggles, those hands will again pick up the tools to take action, until the last drone is smashed. We hope to see you there.
Wednesday, August 6th, 2014
Victory to the Palestinian struggle! Stop arming Israel! #StopElbit
For nearly a month, Israel has bombarded Gaza from land, sea and air. More than 1800 Palestinians have lost their lives and war crimes have been committed. To our collective shame, the UK government has not only failed to take action to pressure Israel to stop its massacre, but has refused to take steps to end the material support it provides to Israel’s brutal regime of apartheid and colonialism. When governments support crimes against humanity, grassroots movements must take direct action.
A group of activists from the London Palestine Action network have today (5/8/14) chained the doors shut of an Israeli weapons factory based near Birmingham in the UK and are now occupying the roof. As part of the boycott, divestment and sanctions movement (BDS) and in response to calls for action from Palestinian movements, we are demanding the permanent closure of the factory and an end to all forms of military trade and cooperation with Israel. (more…)